Sunday, December 23, 2012

Suzy Sooyoung shines in Marie Claire's special December issue, confirms solo comeback plans!


We haven't seen Suzy Sooyoung in the public eye since season one of her hit docu-drama series, Idol Investigations, wrapped up, but the singer-songwriter came out of hiding this week to cover Marie Claire's December issue. In an unprecedented move for the magazine, Suzy is not only on the cover of the Korean edition, but also the Chinese Marie Claire, too, with the songstress sporting different concepts for each individual edition to show the public her various colors and charms.

You'll have to pick up a copy of Marie Claire to see the full article and photoshoot, but you can check out some exclusive pics and a revealing Q&A from Suzy below.



MC: How does it feel being chosen over many other idols to cover our special double December issue?
SS: I couldn't be prouder. I feel like my true home is both Korea and China, so being able to promote in both countries has made me so happy. The double cover really cements my status as a hallyu superstar.

Marie Claire China
MC: We just wanted to double our sales. So, can you talk a bit about this shoot?
SS: Oh, I loved it. I demanded outfits from top designers like Marc Jacobs or I wouldn't do it, and Marie Claire so graciously got me everything I wanted. The Marc Jacobs dress ended up on the Chinese cover, and I'm rocking an outfit from SPICEYCOLOR on the Korean one. White Entertainment is collaborating with SPICEYCOLOR on a clothing line soon, so I kind of had to wear something from them. It's in my contract.

MC: You look so good! But are the rumors true: did you really have more plastic surgeries?
SS: Well... Yes they are. I'm glad you asked that, so I can put an end to all the rumors. I had some surgeries done, and I also started a new diet to gain weight and build muscle. I worked with Gwyneth Paltrow's personal trainer, Tracy Anderson, so you can thank her and my surgeon for my stunning new look.

MC: What made you do that? Did you feel insecure before?
SS: My drug use left me thin and scrawny, without any curves. I didn't feel like a woman. I look at my friends like Tiffany and SECRET, my CEO Trina, and some other people I worked with, and I see that they all had bagel figures but I did not. I decided it was time to bloom into a real woman, so I started fixing up all my imperfections with a surgeon and working closely with Tracy to give me the body that I've always wanted.

MC: You also stopped doing drugs, too, right?
SS: (ignores question) My friends, Sunhwa and Zinger, have both had lots of surgery, so they gave me tips on how to hide the scars and advised me on what I should get done.

MC: Okay... Anyway, are you afraid of your fans' reaction?
SS: My fans understand me and my art. They know I didn't feel complete without these surgeries. It's all part of the circle of life. If I get prettier, I get happier, and so my fans are happier too. Its a win win situation.

MC: Do you feel happier now?
SS: I sure do! Last year was hell for me. Plastic surgery and exercise turned out to be very therapeutic for me. First, my music was pushed back by White due to all the problems at the agency from earlier this year, then my dear friend Tiffany vanished. I thought she died for christ's sake! It affected me so much that it inspired me to become more beautiful and to emulate her curves. I thought that if I could have her body, then I'd be a living tribute to her memory.

MC: How does it feel to have Tiffany back and see your surgeries?
SS: She is a big supporter. Almost too supportive... She still suggests to me more things I need done. But now we can exchange clothes and all, since our bodies are so similar now. But mostly I'm glad she's back so I don't feel alone anymore. It was a rough year. I just wanted to disappear...

MC: That sounds serious. Tell us about your nightmare year from hell -- relive each and every painful moment.
SS: Oh wow, where to start? Let's just say that I lost my boyfriend, my best friend, my career, and my focus. I felt so depressed that I ended up having random affairs during the year, which just made me feel even more insecure. I hit rock bottom for the third time in my life and did things I'm not proud of.

MC: Hold up! Boyfriend? Are you talking about INFINITE's Hoya?
SS: Yes, he was a big part of my life. But he was a dick. He ditched me with a text saying I was "unbalanced, crazy and unfaithful". I felt really bad and got back on drugs.

MC: Wow, harsh. Being an idol you shouldn't be doing drugs.
SS: Again, my fans will understand. I'm sure they do it themselves. Drugs are a normal part of society and it's fine if you use them responsibly. Sometimes you just have to do what you have do to. I couldn't find help anywhere. I tried reaching Trina unnie but she was too busy having meetings with businessmen every night. HyunA was busy modelling in India. Tiffany was dead, or so I thought. And SECRET were busy pretending to promote in Japan so Zinger could complete her surgeries in private. I simply couldn't handle the pressure and felt like drugs was the easy way to release stress. Things eventually got worse when some old bad boy type boyfriend found me on a corner doing cocaine. It was a punch from the past and we had a thing again. It wasn't good for me. Or him.

MC: Such a low time in your life.
SS: Yeah but I'm a positive person. Mrs. Positivity all the time -- but not HIV Positive! (laughs nervously) Next question!

MC: Do you think this experience affected your personality?

SS: I don't think so. I'm real, the realest chick in Korea, and nothing can ever change me or who I am. But if anything did change, it was my art. My music. But not my soul.

MC: Oh yes, talk about that. Also do you have an album coming out right?
SS: Duh, Einstein. Of course I do. And I would say my music has gotten darker this time around. If there's anything I'm good at in life, it's making a song out of some experience in my life. This album is kind of a series of chronicles from my past year. The album is coming January 1st. It symbolizes a fresh new beginning for me in 2013, and also a tribute to my fans that have waited for so long for new music, and stood by me when nobody else did.

MC: We love how into your fans you are. What can they expect from the album?
SS: My fans will stan for it. It's a shocking new style for me but I think its a lyrical masterpiece. Being back on drugs and all the endless partying helped me meet some stunning underground musicians and writers that contributed to my new album. They were a true inspiration. A special thanks to Frank Ocean who I met while we were doing lines together in the bathroom of a New York City gay nightclub while I was in the U.S. for Thanksgiving. We talked on and on for three hours about the meaning of life, the universe, our fame and what it means to us, and anal sex. It was life changing.

MC: You said this album is "darker" but has it also got uplifting songs like "Freedom"?

SS: Its a very twisted album. It has the ups and downs of a relationship. You get the good and the bad from me! Just keeping it real. But mostly I just want to release this and exorcize my demons you know, and move on from this boy and from all the bad things that happened.

MC: What do you wish for 2013?

SS: I'm just looking forward to some peace in White Entertainment after all the drama we've been through, as well as some exciting new career opportunities. Tiffany's disappearance, the drug use, Girls' Revolution's indefinite hiatus, and some of my friends betraying me and leaving my side really hurt me, but I'm ready to leave all that behind in 2012 and start new in 2013. A new boyfriend would be nice, too. The sky is the limit for me, and I just hope my loyal Su-Witches will come along for the journey.

MC: Thank you for being so open about everything.
SS: My pleasure! It's good to just speak loudly about things, rather than being quiet and fake. I like to face my demons.

MC: Any message you wanna share with the readers?

SS: Merry Christmas. Please pick up my "A Very Suzy-licious Christmas" album, as it's a timeless classic perfect to be played every holiday season. And please anticipate some new projects from White Entertainemnt, including a fragrance line and a new girl group project. Then I want to share a note of positivity and say you're all beautiful no matter what anyone says. Everyone is beautiful in their own way -- just find your essence and let it shine!

MC: Where can they check up your music?
SS: Just visit my twitter for the scoop on all things Suzy related. Also, look out for my new digital single in the next few days, followed by my debut solo album in early January.

MC: Good luck on your journey Suzy!
SS: Thank you again. Peace! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment